12.07.2008

I Need a FLASHBACK...


I truly am a 90's baby, yo.

You never truly realize that you are unless you get it in excess. What's "it"? The essence of the best decade known to man. Everyone gets wrapped in the competition on decades saying, "I'm a 90's baby!" then hearing, "Oh no, that's wack. I'm an 80's baby. Ohh yeah, last of the best!"

Please. You didn't even get to claim a whole year of the 80's. You just claim the ass. You ARE a 90's baby too, just like me.

Now here comes the excess. Okay here's the typical college scene: the 80's party is the most poppin' event on campus and everyone dresses up with the rope chains and high-high-high tops (both hair and shoes), colorful leggings, and shoulder cut-off sweatshirts. Cute, right? Now let me do you one better, 90's party baby (as if you didn't see it coming). The decade of track jackets, Adidas, belly shirts, sports bras, Tupac, Aaliyah, TLC, Snoop Dogg, baggy pants, bandanas, washed out jeans, non-matching colors, and the wonderful list goes on.

I must say, when pulling up to the Axum Lounge on 9th and R Streets, I was a bit skeptical. I wasn't sure how many people would actually come and get into the spirit. My friends and I came slightly early, right before 11pm, so not only did we get in free, the place wasn't packed. However, the 90's music was good right from the jump, so we had no time to sulk about the emptiness of the floor because we were to busy bumping and singing to notice. Then, once "No Scrubs" came on, the singing got so loud that we were forced to finally look around the place and notice that the population doubled. From that point on.... shit. was. CRACKK. With 2 k's.

This party catered to all kinds of people. If you didn't really like to be in the middle of things, you could just sit in a chair at the bar (don't worry, there was no drinking for us minors) and bop and sway to yourself. Or if you just love to shake your arse, there were plenty of takers. Girls dancing with each other? Got it. Guys doing to trademarks scene from "House Party"? Got it, got it, got it. Air conditioning? Hell no, but it's okay, they had napkins. Personally, I was a little hot in my purple leotard, but it's ok, I had my shiny peach sports bra (yay 90's) on so I could peel the shoulders down some. Personally, this has been one of the best parties I've gone to all year simply because EVERYONE looked so cute. Everyone was sober and STILL having the best time. Everyone was chill and happy and singing with each other and dancing with each other minus the typical sexual innuendo found at the real house party scene.

That poor Axum Lounge. Everyone was so "involved" that the floor (we were upstairs) started to crack and creak so much that they told us we all had to shift to the other side of the floor. By that time everyone decided it was time to leave for fear of falling through the floor/ceiling. But as we exited, the music did not stop playing and the people did not stop bopping the whole way out.

Gotta love Howard University mann. And gotta love my 90's.
[Btw, not me in the flick]

~Stassi X.

1 comment:

Word?

follow me?

A Girl Named Stassi [X].

My photo
Writer. Photographer. Storyteller. Simple.

rihanna.

rihanna.

kesh.

kesh.

steph jones.

steph jones.

angela boatwright.

angela boatwright.

lady gaga.

lady gaga.

wakeema hollis.

wakeema hollis.

the obamas.

the obamas.

Followers